Thursday 16 December 2010

Pssst ..... don't mention the C word ..............

It seems blogland is split into two camps at the moment ..... those who are laid back and going with the flow and those who are stressing about how much there is to do.  So this post is a 'C' word free zone ! 

This life is not a dress rehearsal dear people so don't worry your socks off about the things you have no control over and concentrate on the things that you can do and changes that you can make.

One of my pet hates is waste.   Waste of any kind really be it food, clothing, possessions and most of all time. 

Since joining the world of blog and visiting crafting forums I have discovered Freecycle, Scrapstores and more recently Ecobees ... each has an ethos of avoiding sending unwanted items to landfill and offer a wonderful opportunity to recycle.  You know what they say about one man's trash being another man's treasure well it is totally true and I love nothing more than rescuing something from the past and giving it a new lease of life.

Over the past couple of weeks I have adopted this little Edwardian sewing cupboard and when the weather improves (we have a light snowfall outside as I write) it shall have a little session with some Nitromors to remove the peach gloss paint and then I shall decide on whether it shall stay as it was intended as a dark oak cupboard or give it a fresh coat of paint and prettify it a little.



A few days ago a vintage Silver Cross Dolls Pram was offered and my heart skipped a beat ..... I hadn't heard anything and presumed that another lucky freecycler was the new owner.  Until this morning that is when I opened my mailbox and there was a message inviting me to arrange collection.  It was described as a restoration project so I was expecting the worst but was delighted to bring home this little baby .....

 She isn't in too bad condition at all and with some TLC and elbow grease she will come up a treat


 The original shop sticker is still attached and the Queensway shopping centre was opened in 1959
 A lovely little Rose cartouche is on both sides of the pram
The hood and cover are in a brown suede-like fabric

 
I am really looking forward to starting on this one!

10 comments:

  1. I had a very similar pram.....its lovely, lucky you!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with that pram :) and the sewing cupboard. I agree with the waste not thing - have been converting other members of my family to that recently with some success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! 1959 was a fab year!!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, you are sooo lucky getting that pram! Will you be keeping it, or selling it on? Will be perfect for displaying dolls or teddies in.

    Enjoy your restoration projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, a couple of super project there. The little sewing cabinet will be a treat and the pram ..., well, I can't wait to see what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That pram is a beauty! Can't wait to see what you do with it. Knowing you, it will be beautiful. The sewing cupboard is a great find too. Off now to Google Ecobees..............

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pram!! I think my mum pushed me around in a similar one!
    Like everyone else,I look forward to seeing what you do with it!
    Have fun ;-)x

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely to read a non C word post!
    I love your crochet cake header.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Working in a Charity shop, I'm well aware of recycling - it's lovely when a customer finds just the right thing !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness what a lucky ducky you are!!! I love both of those items, so beautiful. You have to constantly show them off in posts, i would!! Cant wait to see more of the little pram!

    ReplyDelete