With all the rain of the past week or two the garden seems to be exploding and the courgettes in our veggie patch are fast turning into marrows!
They are so easy to grow but I am usually at a loss as to what to do with them apart from ratatouille so I investigated some recipes in my WI books this morning and came across a Courgette & Mint Soup ..... with a little tweaking it became Garden Veg & Mint Soup and here's how.
1 lb of courgettes
a handful of fresh mint leaves
a handful of garden peas
a few runner beans
salt & black pepper
1 pt vegetable or chicken stock
- Finely chop the onion and fry gently in some butter or olive oil
- Cut the courgettes into chunks and add to pan with the potato (chopped), peas and sliced runner beans
- Gently fry for a couple of minutes and then add the mint leaves
- Add the stock and simmer gently for 20 minutes
- Allow to cool for a short time and then liquidise the vegetables .... I find it easier to strain off the stock and put it to one side and then add the liquidised veggies back to it.
- Season to taste and add some more fresh mint if required.
It was absolutely gorgeous and can be eaten hot or chilled. My second portion is chilling in the fridge now for tomorrow's lunch.
I really should take more time to make fresh soups .... what better way of getting your 5-a-day with no preservatives and it really is so quick and easy.
Does anyone else have some ideas for courgettes????
Keep it clean though ;-)