Monday 4 January 2010

Coldest day so far

Today has to be the coldest so far this winter .... woke up to a very heavy frost this morning and at 10.30 am the temperature was still only -4 degrees .... brrrrrr.  When I went to let the chooks out at half eight I took the camera because the trees and bushes in the garden looked splendid with their white frosting.







I am a great fan of Freecycle.  For those of you who don't know the website it is a fantastic means of keeping loads of unwanted goods out of landfill.  I use it regularly when I am having a clear out of the clutter (a lifetime's work in my case!) and if I am looking for something in particular I always take a look at our local groups.  At the weekend I posted a request for a dog bed for Ruby because she is behaving so well it is time for the cage to go and a very kind lady offered one immediately.  It had been living in her loft for three years and now Ruby is quite at home in it.  Late last night a new batch of postings came online and I couldn't believe my eyes ..... I have been looking for one of these for ages and really wanted one to do up for Ellie at Christmas


Good things come to those who wait so they say

It is teacher training day at our school today so I have three children back with me today ..... we have been making samosas this afternoon .... very warming on such a cold day and a great way to use up leftover veg.







The Recipe

225g plain flour
half tsp salt
2 tbsp cooking oil
warm water to mix

I just bung the lot in the food processor and pour the water in slowly till it forms a soft dough.
Leave for half an hour to rest (have a cuppa ;-)
Roll out and cut into circles then cut the circles in half

For the filling fry a chopped onion in some oil
Then add a Shwartz Bombay Potato Mix, a tin of chopped tomatoes and 100ml water
Add whatever leftover cooked veg you have or just parboil a mix of potato, peas, beans etc (a bag of frozen mixed veg would do the job too)
Leave to cool while you are making the samosa pastry

Dampen the semi circles of pastry, put a blob of filling in centre and fold over and seal.
Deep fry till golden

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic desk, I am very envious. I have just posted about the snow too!!!

    I will be book marking the samosa's for me and the boys to try later in the week for our left over curry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The samosas sound great, I'll have to give them a go one day soon.

    What a brilliant find with the desk. Can't wait to see what you do with it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brilliant old desk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I felt hungry just reading the samosa recipe. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those children are so lucky to be with you.

    always doing something interesting

    ReplyDelete
  5. what lovely pics to look at, its boiling here, I'm in a sarong with all the fans on and its only 8.10 a.m.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a desk like that at primary school!!! Those samosas look scrumptious!!

    Happy new year x

    ReplyDelete