Wednesday 19 January 2011

Getting things done ...........

I was just commenting on Monday that I was fed up to the back teeth with greyness and rain and would gladly trade them in for some blue sky and sunshine even if it meant that it got a little colder.  Someone must have been listening to me because yesterday and today have been glorious which has certainly spurred me on.

Our local library service has an online facility to search for and reserve books from all over the borough ... it is so easy and I just request to collect them from the little library that is next door to the school that I pick the children up from.  This is my selection for this week ...

that should keep me going with inspiration and ideas for a while!

Yesterday I popped to my favourite yarn shop for some supplies to finish off a couple of UFOs .... one is a chunky crochet scarf


The other is a ripple blanket which is next on my list and I had told myself I mustn't buy anything else until these were finished but as I stood at the counter waiting to pay my eye was drawn to a display and I was hooked once again.



This springy soft scarf needs just one ball and it is amazing ..... when opened out it looks like a crochet mesh and all you have to do is knit with 00 needles along the top edge ..... sounds easy but we shall see!   This range of yarns comes from Spain and they are lovely quality and very reasonably priced .... a fantastic alternative to the pricier yarns by Debbie Bliss and Rowan.



Mr Postie also visited yesterday with a fabric delivery from Patch Fabric & Haberdashery .... I needed some more of the Tanya Whelan Darla to finish a quilt and treated myself to some more Michael Miller .... the mini gingham checks & red heart fabrics are by Makower and these came from an excellent seller via Ebay.

Here is the finished mini quilt which I have called Spring Greens in anticipation of seeing some green shoots in the garden soon (not shown in true colours I am afraid because I still cannot locate my camera cable and have to use my phone)


and still on a green theme I found this book in the CS today for a princely 20p



and I couldn't leave without another photo of our little lady who has been officially registered today as Millie May



big brother Charlie holding her hand

6 comments:

  1. Fabrics look lovely and those books are great. I think I've had out the fat quarter bags book. Either that or it is sitting in my books shelf! LOL

    The scarves are great, no wonder you were tempted with the new wool. That is why I haven't been anywhere near our fabric and wool shop!
    Love the last picture, it is very special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...Millie May is beautiful, just like her name! Bet big brother Charlie is chuffed to bits with her. You should frame the last pic, it`s one to treasure. I love your green quilt and if you can`t find your camera cable, you can buy a Memory Card Reader (cheap,cheap at Tesco) which allows you to take your memory card from your camera and put it into the reader which you then plug into the USB port in your computer...eh voila! No more hunting around for lost cables!Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sun really has worked wonders - and I love the name Millie May.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this online reserving books from all over a county to have delivered to your local branch is countrywide. We have been doing it for years now and it is so handy, especially when your village library is small and therefore doesn't carry a huge stock of craft books in particular. It also keeps the library active and hopefully away from the eyes of the man who makes decisions about closures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! The picture of the siblings holding hands is beautiful! It will be treasured in years to come!

    So glad you decided to join our *A MAKE A MONTH 2011* - looking forward to seeing what you make - my makes are always very simple!! love Annie xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just downloaded that lovely pattern of the scarf. their website doesn't tell you where to get the wool though. does your wool shop do mail order? thank you. XX

    ReplyDelete